OK, maybe you’ve heard a few of these phrases before…
- Sisters before misters
- Chicks before dicks
- Ovaries before brovaries
- Clothes over bros
- Besties before testies
What do all of these clever rhymes have in common though? Girl Code. In it’s simplest form girl code can be summed up these above little sayings. But we know there is a lot more to girl code than this, so let’s break it down.
Does Girl Code Have Clearly Defined Rules?
We think there are a few that are pretty black and white, but some are definitely in the grey.
This list below is based off of submissions from our podcast listeners along with some widely referenced rules of girl code.
- Don’t hook up with a friend’s ex – even if they say it’s cool. If the girl is an acquaintance then fine, but if they are a close friend definitely not!
- Don’t start talking to a guy your friend is talking to.
- Don’t intentionally be a side hoe. If you find out the guy has a girlfriend or is married WALK AWAY.
- Don’t slide into DMs or hit on a guy your friend is talking to.
- It’s OK to talk about girls with friends, but not in a way that is shit talking them to people in a way that will hurt their reputation – like especially to their family or boyfriend/husband.
- Don’t flirt or hang out one on one with married men… outside of a professional setting of course.
- If your best friend hates someone, you hate them. Period.
- All girls in all bathrooms are your friend.
- Friend’s ex-boyfriends are off limits. If you date the ex…. That friend will become an ex.
- If you know a guy is cheating or trying to cheat, you tell the girl. Period.
- Don’t ever criticize what a girl is eating.
- Check in and offer a signal to call with an “emergency” if a girl is on a date with a new guy.
- When taking a pic for a girl you always take at least three and get more than one angle.
- If a guy sends you an unsolicited dick pic you must share it with at least one friend.
Official Laws of Girl Code
We know that some of the items in the list above are subjective and some of these will very much depend on circumstances. In an effort to offer some clear guidance when it comes to the ethics of girl code, we would summarize the laws of girl code into a few indisputable(?) points…
- Support other women by lifting them up and encouraging them when you can.
- Empower other women with honesty, love and validation.
- Do not act in a that will intentionally hurt another woman (this one covers a lot of the dont’s).
- Look out for other women by checking in & offering outs.
Erin is ambitious, sarcastic and optimistic. She values authenticity, education and personal growth. Read More…